Skip to main content

5 Reasons Why I Love Using Inkscape



I love using Inkscape. In my last post, I shared with you how I started venturing into the Redbubble platform and created my LifePlus Design shop (read: Making My Art Works Available Via RedBubbl). All of the illustrations/designs that I uploaded there are all done using Inkscape.



One of my artwork available on RedBubble


So why do I love using Inkscape so much?

Before I answer that, let me describe first what is Inkscape and what it can do. In this post, I will share with you the following:


  1. What is Inkscape
  2. What is Vector Graphics and What is its difference over rasterized images.
  3. What can you do with Inkscape?
  4. Limitation of Inkscape.
  5. 5 Reasons Why I love Inkscape.

What is Inkscape?



Inkscape is a free and open-source high-quality vector graphics design software that runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

Inkscape can be used to create or edit vector graphics such as illustrations, diagrams, line arts, charts, logos, and even complex paintings.

Inkscape can be compared to other vector graphics editor programs like Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator.

What are vector graphics?

Vector graphics are computer graphics images that are defined in terms of 2D points. These points are connected by lines and curves to form polygons and other shapes. Vector graphics are usually in SVG, EPS, AI, or PDF file format.


(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics)

Advantages of Vector Graphics VS Rasterized Images.


Relatively small file size. The Vector graphics file size is can be relatively smaller than the rasterized images. In rasterized images, the higher the resolution and/or the dimension of the image, the bigger the size. In vector images, the file size is affected by the number of objects you put in the illustration.
Scalable. The biggest advantage of vector graphics over rasterized images is the scalability. Scalability means you can scale down or enlarge the image without losing the quality of the image or getting it pixelated.


What Can You Do With Inkscape

Here are some of the things that you can do with Inkscape:

  • Line Drawing / Illustration. You can create lines, curves, shapes, and fill them with colors. With these basic tools, you can create a simple or sophisticated line drawing. Here’s one of the illustrations that I created for my RedBubble Design
  • Logos - The logos created using Inkscape is scalable. Meaning you can use it on a small print like calling card or on a large print layout like a tarpaulin. 
  • Flowchart / Infographics
  • Book Cover
  • Web Design
  • Chart
  • Page layout


And many more!

Limitation of Inkscape

I’m going to name only one limitation for Inkscape.

Inkscape is NOT a photo editor. Although you can import photos or other rasterized images on Inkscape, it is not a photo editor. If you are into photo-editing, you might as well use GIMP.

The Five Reasons Why I love using Inkscape.


  1. I love creating illustrations. This is more of a hobby for me. I would draw on paper with pencil, scan it or take a photo of it then, trace it on Inkscape.
  2. It’s Free! Who doesn’t love free and powerful software?
  3. Easy to learn - This may be relative or subjective, but for me, Inkscape is quite easy to learn and use.
  4. The abundance of tutorials and resources available - There are tons of tutorials and other resources available on the web and on Youtube if you want to learn how to use Inkscape. 
  5. It does not require a high-end computer to run. Believe it or not, I am running Inkscape on a Celeron Laptop with no dedicated graphics card. Yet it runs smoothly for me.


 There you have it, the five reasons why I love using Inkscape. If you are not yet familiar with Inkscape and want to learn how to use Inkscape, please click subscribe and get notified when my next post is up.

I will post a series of tutorials on using Inkscape and other apps in the near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Inkscape 1.0 - Parts of the Inkscape Graphical User Interface

Introduction To Inkscape 1.0 In my last post, I shared with my five reasons why I love using Inkscape. In that post, I also shared some of the things that you can do with Inkscape. In this post, I will introduce to you the basics of Inkscape, particularly the Graphical User Interface or the GUI When I started this post, I was using version 0.92. 

Thank Your Frontliners - Clipart

Thank You Frontliners Thank You Frontliners! This illustration is my way of thanking the frontliners against the Covid-19 pandemic. They are the heroes during this crisis. They risk their own safety and health to protect us.

Put 2020 Behind and Face 2021 With Positivity!

 Happy New Year! 2020 is probably the most undesirable year of our lives. The good thing is we can now claim I survived 2020 and put it behind us all! And you can literally put 2020 behind you by wearing this shirt from ReduBubble